Thursday, May 10, 2012

Lost and Found


One year ago today my son found me 35 years after I had given him up for adoption. Those of you that have been following my blog this past year probably know the story, but for those of you that do not, I am re-posting some of those blogs today. Here is what happened and how it has changed my life forever.

The three of us, lost and then found

May happens to be an amazing month for me. Do you have a certain month where for some unexplained reason, life grabs you and makes you pay attention? May is that month for me. Maybe my mother, who was born in May, genetically imprinted this month for future events into my DNA. I married my husband in May, my youngest son was born in May, and two children who were lost to me found me once again, in the month of May. Two years ago on May 12th my daughter, who I lost through a messy divorce years ago, found me on Facebook. Last year on May 10th my firstborn son found me as well. 

You can not possibly imagine the effect this has had on my life and the life of my family. In one year, I gained two more children, two grandchildren, a son in law and various new friends including the estranged father of my first son. My husband became a step-father, my mother a great grandmother, and all my children gained more siblings. My son who lost both his adoptive parents and had no siblings, suddenly had a huge family with grandparents, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts and cousins. I often think how overwhelming this must be for him, and how many more surprises are still in store for all of us.


My youngest daughter traveled to the states last summer to meet both her sister and older brother for the first time. I traveled there soon after and got to spend time with the both of them, I also got to meet my grandchildren for the first time. There have been a lot of first times for everyone and this summer there will be even more. My son is coming to visit us and finally meet more members of his family.


One year ago I got out of bed and started the day with ordinary expectations, when I went to bed that night I realized that my expectations would never be ordinary again. How could they be? In one year I had given birth to two grown children, and the funny thing is ... 
No matter how grown up they may be, 
they still feel like--- my babies to me. 

All of us can get lost, but thankfully we can also be found.



If you are interested in reading more of this story, check : LOST AND FOUND



19 comments:

My Arabic Journey said...

So happy to read of new beginnings from a past chapter that we thought was closed. Wishing you many more beautiful months of May.

Misha Gerrick said...

No matter how many times I read about that, I can't help thinking how wonderful life can be.

I'm so happy for you.

:-)

Sally said...

How lovely that you've all been reunited.

Unknown said...

What a lovely experience - and how inspirational.
You should write your story for this website: www.gutsyliving.com and be in with a chance to tell and win your Gutsy Story.

What a lovely tale.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

And your journey has been wonderful to follow, Siv!

Elise Fallson said...

Absolutely amazing. I had no idea. How wonderful for you to be reunited with your children, grandchildren and extended family! (:

liz young said...

What a wonderful story, Siv - as the song says, What a difference a day makes!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it's been a year already! Are you kidding me?Wow! Oh I gave you an award today. :)

shelly said...

Wow! Stuff usually happens to me on Tuesdays in any month.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Siv .. happiness shines through in your words and stories .. I'm so so pleased for you - cheers Hilary

Summer Ross said...

That's amazing! I'm so happy for you. I always think things happen for a reason.

Libby said...

so happy to hear you've all been reunited.

Peaches Ledwidge said...

That is absolutely amazing and you summarized every thing so beautifully.

I don't know if I should say congratulations, or you're lucky, or that the universe loves you.

I guess all three will do.

Lynn Proctor said...

oh how wonderful--i am so happy for you!

Botanist said...

What an amazing story. Sounds like your life has been anything but dull!

Teresa Cypher said...

Wow...what a beautiful story...everything can change in a heartbeat :-) So happy for you! :-)

Nicky Wells said...

What an amazing sequence of events. I can only imagine how completely swept away by fate and emotion you must have been, and I am totally happy for you. I know what you mean about certain types of months carrying a special feeling, special opportunity with them. For me, that's sadly not May (in fact, May is often chaos, don't know why) but 'my' months are April, July and December. No idea why but those seem to be the 'happening' months... Enjoy your re-found family!

Susan Bodendo/Super Earthling said...

I can't even begin to explain just how much I love this wonderful post! It's happy and uplifting and truly powerful.

I'm so very glad that May has turned out to be such a fabulous month for you. May each May continue to bring you great joy! :)

--Susan

Lisa said...

What a wonderful month!!! Congratulations on the happiness that has found and embraced you!!!