Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Doppelganger

This month Minnie is exploring the alphabet by digging out the unusual, often unexplained and alternative way of thinking. Stories of creatures, places and mysteries that have been passed down to us through centuries tease our imagination, live in our dreams and dare us to explore the impossible. Join Minnie each day as she discovers something unusual in the alphabet.

 
“Make mine a double with a twist.”



Doppelganger by Perodog on Deviant Art...


Do you have an exact double somewhere in the world? Can a person be in two places at once? There are many intriguing accounts throughout history of people who claim to have either encountered apparitions of themselves - their doppelgangers - or have experienced the phenomenon of bilocation, being in two separate locations at the very same time.

"Doppelganger" is German for "double walker" - a shadow self that is thought to accompany every person. Traditionally, it is said that only the owner of the doppelganger can see this phantom self, and that it can be a harbinger of death. Occasionally, however, a doppelganger can be seen by a person's friends or family, resulting in quite a bit of confusion.

In instances of bi-location, a person can either spontaneously or willingly project his or her double, known as a "wraith," to a remote location. This double is indistinguishable from the real person and can interact with others just as the real person would.

So keeping in form I need to mention the Insecure Writers Support Group, which is the first Wednesday of every month. What does a Doppelganger have to do with that? Well I can only speak for myself but I do believe there are others out there like me. Sometimes a writer can get confused because there are so many voices out there. How do you know which one to listen to, how can you be true to yourself when you don't even know who that is? Which voice from yourself is the best one to listen to? My answer...the one that speaks the loudest.


17 comments:

Sally said...

Interesting article. What about twins - are they dopplegangers?

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

I've actually met a one of my Doppelganger. Once at a church in Albuquerque, NM. I once had some people walk up to me at a restaurant in Branson Mo. insistin' they'd just seen me sing in one of the shows. Heeehehe!!!

Hubs was outta state once and said he had to do a double take 'cause a gal who looked just like me (poor baby) walked outta a convenience store. 'Nuff said!

I just wanted to pop over and thank you for your visit and hoppin' on my blog. I sure hope ya enjoy the ride.

God bless and in the words of that silly old Granny Clampett, "ya'll come back now...ya hear!!! "

Have a great day sweetie!!! :o)

farawayeyes said...

I like loud!

Anonymous said...

I once saw someone who looked just like me, only he was from India. His skin as a lot darker than mine, but hel looked like me. Weird.

Stephanie V said...

Closest I ever got was being mistaken for my aunt in her small home town when I was visiting there. It's right across the country from my home.
Not sure I'd want to meet my shadow self. I think it might be a bad sign.

Fairview said...

Yes, I believe in dopplegangers. Often people will tell me I look exactly like "X Celebrity". Which is not flattering.

(yeah if it was Angelina Jolie or somebody I'd be shouting it out here).

Georgina Morales said...

Dopplegangers are an intriguing thing. I'd love to write a novel about it. Great post!

Happy d-day and IWSG
From Diary of a Writer in Progress

Sush said...

Hi stopping in from the A-Z challenge. Loved your D choice! I've heard I have several doppelgangers around. I think I just have that sort of generic face actually ;)

Looking forward to more...
Hugs~

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Always listen to the dominant voice.
Never met anyone that looks just like me. I don't even look anything like my own brother.

Golden Eagle said...

I've never come across someone (or heard of someone) that looked exactly like me. It would be a strange experience to do so!

I usually end up following the loudest voice when it comes to writing, too.


The Golden Eagle
The Eagle's Aerial Perspective

Yvonne Stephenson said...

I saw someone who looked exactly like my husband's grandmother. It was surreal. I couldn't stop looking at her. Turned out they were both from Denmark. I don't know if they were related but the could have been.

I am at Yvonne Says.

Julie Flanders said...

I've always thought the idea of a double out there was so interesting. I don't really think I have one, but it's fascinating to imagine. I like the idea of listening to the loudest voice, although sometimes my insecure voice is the one screaming the loudest! I need to quiet her down.

Juli said...

I think I have many doubles as I have often been confused for someone everyone knows.

I was here from A-Z, but I think I originally stumbled on you earlier through Melynda at Crazy World...

needless to say, I'm #503

Rena Lesué said...

One of my favorite episodes of Buffy is called Doppelganger. It's hilarious, b/c Willow's doppelganger is an evil vamp. Fun times.

My Arabic Journey said...

Hi! dropping in for the A-Z Challenge. Very interesting write!

Jenn said...

This is an interesting topic. I once had a twin around these parts-- her name was Amy. People would say, "do you have a twin named Amy?" Seemed we frequented many of the same places but never at the same time. Sadly, I never met her.

I like how you tied this in with the Insecure Writer's Group theme. Very well done!!

Cheers, Jenn
http://www.wine-n-chat.com

Sarah Tokeley said...

When I was a little girl, the old couple (well, old to me) over the road had a grown up daughter. They showed me a photo of her at my age and it looked just like me. It really freaked me out.