Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Feeling at Home

The art of a craftsman can be debated. The pride of a craftsman and his integrity is a lost art form. It is all about saving time and money now.  This is something we have discovered during the building process of our house. 

Tools are important, here is saw-man with his latest 

We have contracted out a lot of the building but saw- man has been busy redoing most of their work. The roof tiles need to be replaced. There are many that are broken, bad quality and workmanship. Then we have the windows that have been installed improperly causing broken window panes. The terrace doors have been installed improperly and are impossible to close enough so that they can be properly locked.  The list goes on. There has to be something said for doing everything yourself, but who has the time? That is the conclusion that the saw-man and I have come to lately. It may have taken a long time to get things done, but at least what we have done has been getting done properly. 


Enough is enough and finally we have decided to get more builders in here and get this house done. We will probably have to go pick up a few pieces afterwards, but this living in a closet has got to end. Check out here if you want to know more about this crazy house. The actual building process has been going on now for over a year, we still have so much left to finish, and with winter closing in once again, time is even more important. It gets darker here every day, the rains come and goes more often, but I have to believe that through all this darkness we will eventually see light. Someday we will move out of this closet and have instead a closet to hang our clothes in. The saw dust and building materials will not be a constant floor obstacle and I will no longer have to search through boxes to find my things. Someday I will know where I am and finally feel at home. 

Tell me, how long has it taken you to feel at home?

5 comments:

Crazy Life of a Writing Mom said...

We need to finish our basement. It's crazy how much work can go into things. I think we'll end up hiring help for some things too ;)

Nadia said...

I'm glad you guys are hopefully going to be able to finish it soon with a bit of help. I can't believe you've had so many problems with contractors not doing things right though :(

It will be nice to have your home back :)

Anonymous said...

Still working on that one. My husband lived in thsi house with his ex and now we are just trying to make it more of OUR home vs hers. It's a long road but evnetually it will be worth it I guess. I actually wish we could sell this place and get another one. It's silly I know and not practical but I never claimed to be practical. haha

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry you've had crappy builders! I couldn't live in a closet that long.

McKenzie McCann said...

Yep. There's a reason the government regulates buildings, but that's in the US, and I'm not an expert on Norwegian government.

Home is a very touchy subject for me. After my parents got divorced we had to sell the house I've grown up in. I've always associated that house with my childhood, so selling that house was the equivalent of selling my childhood. Both feel like they are gone now. Neither of these new houses will ever feel like home. I can't forgive them of robbing me of my childhood at age fourteen.